Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Beyond Understanding*




I parked, made my way into the hospital, got on the elevator, just like I had hundreds of times before. I typically try to get in the right frame of heart and mind to minister to those I’m going to see after fighting traffic, making dizzying circles in the parking deck looking for a place to park, trying to slide my oversized vehicle into the tiny little parking space, then trying not to scratch the car next to mine while squeezing my girth through the narrow door opening.  Often, as I walk, I pray in anticipation of seeing the patient, but this time was a little different. I felt a prompting to pray for God’s Shalom peace for a certain patient and her husband. I put on my mask and made my way to the elevator, and it became my prayer lift. There were some quiet moments in my vertical chapel until a bell interrupted the silence, and a pleasant automated voice said, “4th floor.” When I exited and walked down the hall, I wondered  if I could go into the room this time. Because of COVID risks, sometimes I could only wave through the glass, and make a praying hands gesture from the hallway to let the couple know I’m lifting them up before the throne of God. Sometimes this patient’s husband was able to come out and pray with me in the hall.  When I arrived that day just outside the room, two nurses were standing there, wide eyed, still in their masks, face shields, gloves, and plastic gowns. I looked in and saw the patient sleeping peacefully  in the bed and her husband hard asleep in one of those uncomfortable hospital chairs.  I was praying another quick prayer, thanking God for His peace and was about to turn around to go see another patient, when one of the nurses asked me who I was.  I said I was their pastor. She looked me in the eyes with a very serious look and said, “did you just pray for them?” And I said, “yes, God had prompted me to pray while I was on the way up here.” She said, “I don’t usually talk about this, but she was very anxious, irritated, and agitated, and he was very empathetic with her discomfort, then instantly, just  a moment ago,  they inexplicably became completely relaxed and fell hard asleep. I have never seen anything like it.” These nurses had not administered any medication that would have calmed her like that, and they certainly would not have given anything to her husband, who was not a patient at the time… I remember getting chill bumps and thanking God for allowing me an up close glimpse of His Spirit miraculously pouring out His peace on two of those He loves! He had given them some much needed rest at a very stressful time in this hospital stay. God had not only seen their distress and relieved it, but He had invited some nurses and a pastor to witness Him at work giving some much needed Shalom to an uncomfortable, pain and stress fatigued couple.  He let us all know that He sees us and He cares. 

In the early church at Philippi, there was some unrest, irritation, and anxiety among some in the congregation. Paul was reminding the church family to pray for each other and themselves.  Paul tells them, Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”(Philippians 4:6–7) I used to think this verse was written for us as individuals when we are anxious and needing peace, but it is written in the context of a close group of believers. He says, “hearts” and “minds,” plural, not just “heart” and “mind.”  There is a sense of “Us,” not just “me.”   Jesus sees us in our distress, invites us to join Him in His answer, and He shows up with just what is needed. He sends the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, and He arrives with a Shalom that is overwhelming. God had not only given peace to the couple at the hospital, His peace had impacted those believers in close proximity too.  

Hang in there people! God is glad to be with us! I’m praying for us all!