Saturday, July 18, 2020

Parents, Do You Have COVID Dyscalendaria?

Parents, do you have COVID Dyscalendaria? Last night I set my alarm and laid my clothes out for church... I had my shoes and underclothes ready too, as has been my practice since early in my ministry. Part of it comes from my FOBL, Fear Of Being Late.  For a few years my kids used love to help shine my shoes each week  when they were little to help me get out the door on time, which made Anita a little nervous with the shoe polish and their matching “Sunday Best” outfits… so, she would wait to dress them ‘til after the shoe shinin’.  So, this morning, I jumped out of bed, fixed our breakfast smoothies, hopped in the shower and was getting dressed for church with my clothes laid out for speedy Sunday AM prep. Anita said, “what are you doing up so early?” I said, “I need to get to church and I don’t want to be late.” She started to laugh and said “today is Saturday!” I started to protest, but picked up my phone to look. It clearly displayed, “Saturday, July 18.”  I began to laugh and wonder how had I missed an entire day. I hope I’m not getting “CRDS!”  That’s “Can’t Remember Diddly Squat!” Anita and I are still laughing at my COVID Dyscalendaria.  


When Jesus was talking to those who belonged to Him about what was to come in the apocalyptic times, He was encouraging them to remember Who they belonged to and warned them to be ready, because no one but God the Father knows when the end is coming and He was returning to Earth to gather His people.  He was telling them to keep being and acting like their “Jesus self” even when time seems to drag on.  Jesus says,  “But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only. For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.  For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Then two men will be in the field; one will be taken and one left.  Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be taken and one left.  Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.  But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into.  Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. Matthew 24:36-44 (ESV) When Jesus returns, the reunion with Him will be much better than any Sunday we can anticipate here on Earth, but it will also be a Great and Terrible Day for those who haven’t connected their lives with Him. Being late will not be an option at that point.  So, even if you have some COVID dyscalendaria and forget what day it is, don’t ever forget who you are and Whose you are. If you haven’t yet connected your life to Him, do it now, as these end times birth pangs seem to be increasing. (Matt. 24:6-8)


Hang in there people! God is with us! I’m praying for you all!