Friday, July 10, 2020

Parents, There's No Place Like Home! Words From COVID 19 quarantine

Parents, There’s no place like home. After a trip many years ago to the beautiful country of South Africa, I was glad to be back on American soil, enjoying the freedoms and blessings of the good ol’ U.S. of A! I had enjoyed the raw beauty of a safari in the wild... lions, strong and majestic, seeing and hearing them a couple of times too close for comfort… seeing baby elephants between their mommy’s feet… warthogs, wild dogs, zebras by the thousands, giraffes, kudu, impala, hippos, crocodiles, and hundreds of other wild birds and beasts. I had seen two oceans and their tumultuous converging from a perspective of mountainous beauty, rolling plains, gorgeous beaches that met majestic mountains. I had seen the very rich and the desperately poor. I felt the discomfort of at least 23 different people groups Asian, Indian, Afrikaans, English, and several different African tribes all vying for power, peace or just human validation. I had met wonderfully welcoming people and the not so nice. I had been well received by friends and rejected by a church I wanted to visit because I didn't look or sound like them. I had tasted the great diversity of delicious foods, fresh fruits, biltong, and some that didn’t agree with my southern American palate. I had stayed in beautiful homes and slept in a car fearing for my life. I had enjoyed privileged status at borders and experienced being misunderstood in the wrong place at the wrong time and the great fear of being incarcerated by an officer of the law shouting at me in another language I didn’t understand, Uzis drawn and lights flashing. It was overall a wonderful experience but I was ready to kiss the ground when I arrived home. There is something about being home.

As comfy and cozy our homes may be, they are not still not our real eternal home with Jesus. We are going to a home that is always full of love, and comfort, and no pain. Peter reminds us of what he heard from Jesus Himself that He has a place ready for us. He warns everyone who belongs to Jesus, not to get too caught up in our worldly comforts to the detriment of our forever relationships with these words, “Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they'll be won over to God's side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives.” 1 Peter 2:11-12 (MSG) We gotta be thankful for the blessings of our earthly homes while keeping our Heavenly Father’s home and blessings always in view, inviting as many to join us as we can! There’s no place like our heavenly home!

Hang in there people! God is with us! I’m praying for you all!