Friday, March 18, 2022

Why Are We Still Here?*

Why are we still here? I sometimes wonder how kids survive ‘til adulthood. I had gotten an archery set for a birthday in elementary school, not the rubber stopper arrows, but actual practice tip arrows. Not sure what my dad was thinking, because the whole BB gun thing had gone badly a couple of years before (you can see that story here: https://williampmcg.blogspot.com/.../parents-dont-run...). Eventually, after shooting my arrows at the target for a while, I became bored and began shooting at "other things." Then, I don’t know what possessed me, but I decided to shoot the arrow straight up into the air. Once I released the arrow and it disappeared from view in the Sun, the realities of Newton’s Law came flooding into my pre-adolescent brain… “what goes up, must come down”… Oh no! The panic set in and I began running as hard as I could aimlessly to try to avoid being impaled. Odds of getting hit by said arrow would probably have been better had I just stood still. Thinking about it now, it was silly that I didn’t run under the protection of the carport. Thank goodness I heard the thud of the arrow as it stuck in the moist ground several feet away. So, what did I do next? Not take my bow and arrow and put them in time out until I could use it more responsibly… NOOOO!, I did it AGAIN! Thank goodness Mr. Gravity and the soft spot covering my yet to be fully formed brain didn’t join forces for a significant injury. I later heard of kids in a neighborhood across the lake who did this as a group activity. Standing in a circle, the kid in the middle shot the arrow into the air and everyone ran in all directions as soon as the arrow was released. One poor kid was taken to the ER, impaled by an arrow through his neck and shoulder. Fortunately it didn’t hit any vital vessels or organs. In spite of my reckless childhood thrill seeking, God had plans for my life. Why is God so gracious to us when we willfully challenge the laws He has put in place physically, relationally, or spiritually? He must have plans for us.

I’m encouraged by the words of Moses as He talks about how God protects His people for His purposes, sometimes even when they were not being so smart. God has us here for a reason, to be His people, to represent Him well. Moses could look back and see the many times God had taken care of His people as they escaped from Egypt, from plagues, armies, pestilences, starvation, thirst, and other terrors. Moses tells God’s People, “The one who lives under the protection of the Most High dwells in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say concerning the Lord, who is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust: He himself will rescue you from the bird trap, from the destructive plague. He will cover you with his feathers; you will take refuge under his wings. His faithfulness will be a protective shield. You will not fear the terror of the night, the arrow that flies by day, the plague that stalks in darkness, or the pestilence that ravages at noon. Though a thousand fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, the pestilence will not reach you.” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭91:1-7‬ ‭CSB‬‬ Satan misrepresents the second part of this passage to Jesus, when he was tempting Him in the wilderness. Matthew 4:5-7 says, ”Then the devil took him to the holy city, had him stand on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down. For it is written: He will give his angels orders concerning you, and they will support you with their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone." Jesus told him, "It is also written: Do not test the Lord your God."
I am so thankful for God’s grace, all the many times, against better judgment, we test His gracious compassion and protection for us, in ignorance or by willful rebellion. God has plans for those who have chosen to belong to Him… we are to be His people, to love and represent Him well, and to love those He loves. He will protect and keep us so we can represent Him until it is time for us to come Home.
Hang in there people! God is glad to be with us! I’m praying for us all!