Monday, May 15, 2023

Are You Fatigued*




I took Military Science class in College, mainly because I needed another college credit and a couple of friends were in ROTC and they needed soldiers to lead as they trained for service. Both of these men served our country well… thanks and kudos to them and all those who solemnly swore “to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic…” The class came with a lab, which was actually field training. We put on Army issued fatigues and boots, we marched, carried stoppered weapons, learned to ford a raging creek with a rope, repel and do push ups… I am thankful for the small taste of the training our service people go through, it makes me appreciate them even more. We took an overnight FTX, a Field Training Exercise, somewhere in the North Carolina mountains. It was dark and we hiked toward our target. With weapons and a 30 pound pack… and we hiked, and we hiked, we got lost, and for 3 straight hours we hiked. We finally made it to our target point, then we engaged the “enemy.” For a while adrenaline perked us up from the all night hike. We dove into ditches to dodge grenade simulators and enemy “fire” and took over a small “fort.” When the battle was over my M16 was traded for a much heavier M60 from the guy who had to leave for a wedding (a privilege of not being real enlisted soldiers)... with which I again got to hike through the mountains. Then my pack was traded for a heavier military communications pack, that again, you guessed it, I had the privilege of hiking through the mountains. When the FTX was over when the Sun began to rise, after we disassembled, cleaned and reassembled our weapons, and ate some MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) breakfast, the cadre of officers rewarded everyone with a surprise for their hard work. Normally, I would have been really excited to rappel down Grandfather Mountain, in NC, but because I was so fatigued in my fatigues, I couldn’t enjoy it. My mind was foggy and my body was exhausted, I wasn’t even sure I had secured my harness well. I wasn’t present enough to relish the experience with my friends and colleagues. I made it down the mountain with shaky muscles, but not with the exhilaration it should have brought. I was just too tired. 


Sometimes we are just tired, fatigued. Life can get exhausting. The things we would normally enjoy are not as enjoyable because we are just tired. Work, family, friends, demanding schedule, even fun; too much of them can get the best of us sometimes. The weights piled on your shoulders can seem to be increasing as you get more tired. Don’t forget to rest. Don’t forget to refresh. Take a timeout, a Shabbat. Find some time to step away from all the stress. Rest, connect with God, then do something fun. Then you can reconnect and bring your best self to those you love and care about. Get a dose of God’s joy and return to share it with those around you. 


Listen to Isaiah’s reminder to those who follow God: “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the whole earth. He never becomes faint or weary; there is no limit to his understanding. He gives strength to the faint and strengthens the powerless. Youths may become faint and weary, and young men stumble and fall, but those who trust in the LORD will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not become weary, they will walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:28-31 (CSB) 


Hang in there people! God is glad to be with us! I’m praying for us all. 

(Updated version of an older post)