Friday, June 2, 2023

The Waters Will Not Overwhelm You.*


The first time I tried waterskiing was not what I expected. I had seen others hang on to the rope behind the boat, come out of the water, stand up, cross the wake and gently sink after letting go of the rope. But my first time, I held the rope, the boat took off, and pulled me right out of my skis. One important bit of information that my instructor failed to tell me, was to let go of the rope if you don’t get up. I had a nasal flush that filled my head and throat and when I finally was overwhelmed by the water, I let go of the rope. I began coughing up and spewing from my mouth what felt like half the lake. My head felt like a water balloon. But undeterred I was determined to try this skiing thing. After a few more tries, I got up and wobbled around behind the boat. Bent over and knock-kneed, I must have looked like a skinny, white, Gumby bobbing around on the waves, until I fell. No one told me that the water feels like concrete on impact at that speed. However, I was hooked, I loved skiing. I can’t imagine the exhilaration Peter felt when he climbed out of the boat onto the waves to walk to Jesus, but this skiing thing was pretty exciting. I eventually learned to slalom, trick, barefoot, jump, and even tried tournament skiing. I took third place in the state of Tennessee in trick skiing as a teen (not a big deal, there were only 3 of us). I even became a ski instructor for a few Summers at my Day Camp. My family bought a houseboat on Norris Lake so we could be on the water almost every weekend in the Summers of my middle and high school years. (Of course on Sundays, however, we went to church first. We had our swimsuits in the car or on under our Sunday clothes, and the boat attached ready to go to the lake right after the last “Amen.”). I eventually learned that I enjoyed being on the lake with the people I loved, and skiing for fun more than competing, but a friend I skied with really loved the competition and went on to win several tournaments and compete nationally in ski jumping for many years until his knees finally gave out. There are many good memories of family and friends on the lake enjoying the Sun, fun, water skiing, and each other. 

 The prophet Isaiah in His warnings to Israel and surrounding peoples, reminded God’s people of Who He is: He is a God of judgment for those who choose to be His enemies, but those who belong to Him can be sure of His great love, grace, forgiveness, and mercy. Isaiah tells God’s people: “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;” (Isaiah 43:2–3 NIV) When we are barely hanging on and it feels like the stresses of this world are about to overwhelm us, God has us! He says, “For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;” Jesus grabbed Peter when he was overwhelmed by the waves and lost sight of His Savior. He will do the same for us! 

 Hang in there people! God is glad to be with us! I’m praying for us all!