Saturday, March 28, 2020

Parents, Laying Hands On Your Children: Words from COVID 19 quarantine

Parents at home with your children… You are doing very important work... Mark 10:13-16 tells us; “People were bringing little children to him in order that he might touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, ‘Let the little children come to me. Don't stop them, because the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.’ 16 After taking them in his arms, he laid his hands on them and blessed them.” (CSBBible)
After a hard day of being home together, you may be ready to “lay hands on” your children, but not the same way Jesus laid his hands on them. I know there were some days when Anita Grossmann McGinnis was away from home and I was home alone with my four little blessings, I was ready to lay hold of them (they were really pretty good kids most of the time, but after many hours together and no breaks we could all get ill with each other). One time she returned from a weekend women’s retreat. I had kept them by myself, but not very well. When she walked in the door I was unable to “use my words,” I handed her a diaper and the smallest one, jumped on my bike and rode for about an hour before returning. I had about all the blessings I could stand. Kudos to her, she used to keep them for days on end without complaining (our kids turned out to be pretty good adults because of Jesus and their mother).
You parents are my heroes, spending all these days alone with your kids! I see Facebook posts of you reading together, singing together, eating together, playing together… I see your joy to be with each other. Like Jesus, I see you taking them in your arms and blessing them. Kudos!
Should you encounter a long day of “shelter in place”, remember that like the marble that I swallowed as a child,” this too shall pass.” When you are ready to have a “come to Jesus” meeting… remember how much He loves us all, holds us in his arms, lays hands on us and blesses us. I’m praying for you all.