Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Parents, We're All In This Together! Words From COVID-19 quarantine

 


Parents, “we’re all in this together!” Imagine me singing this to my family with my best Troy Bolton voice and dance moves, but with a bent over hacking cough, and groan, mid phrase. Yep! The family brought each other the gift of COVID-19 for Christmas 2020! I guess the percentages finally caught up with us. We all remained masked and socially distant from others when in public and the people we were around were diligent in trying to keep others safe too, but these measures obviously aren’t impervious to this tiny airborne virus. Somehow 6 of 8 us tested positive for the presence of this nasty present. We’re praying that the other two never get this thing, but we are assuming they have it. We are not a week into this thing, but it came as advertised… aches, fever, cough, chest tightness, headache, back pain, lethargy, and some of us lost taste! It feels like we’re running in a pool full of molasses. Makes us want to stay in bed or rest most of the time. My heart aches for those who have lost jobs, income, family, friends, health, funerals, weddings, graduations, all because of this heinous pathogen. My prayers continue for those suffering from all the effects of Coronavirus; physical, emotional, financial, etc, and especially for the healthcare workers who are exhausted from saving the lives of those who are so very sick. This is one of those world-wide re-centering events that has the attention of people all around the globe… it transcends any arbitrary boundaries we put up. In its short existence, this awful scourge has impacted so many things we hold in such high regard, like entertainment, sports, education, travel, food, celebrity, politics, hobbies, physical fitness, even church services. It forces us to evaluate what is most important. Though these other things I may have valued are either gone or far from normal, I realize that God has never abandoned me, His loving presence has never lessened. As a matter of fact He seems closer than ever. His “no matter what”, unending love seems to be more recognizably present than any other time in my life. Though I don’t always understand His silence, His mercy, love and provision continue. Even though He is allowing me to experience this illness, He still stays close and reassures me like a doting parent with a sick child. Even in death, His provision is there… He has planned for our eternity to be spent with Him and those He loves where there is no Coronavirus or sickness or dying, not even tears as we connect with Him in Jesus.
The prophet Isaiah got a reminder from God about His great love for His people regardless of the scary things that could be happening around them. He tells us even if the world seems to be falling apart, God never abandons those he loves. He says, “For the mountains may move and the hills disappear, but even then my faithful love for you will remain. My covenant of blessing will never be broken,” says the LORD, who has mercy on you.” Isaiah 54:10 (NLT2) I hope you have not had to endure this COVID thing and I pray for complete restoration for those of you who have. My greatest prayer is that while many of life’s distractions are lessened, that we will recognize God’s never ending, never abandoning love for us and realize that His relationship is more important than anything else, anywhere, anytime. My hope is that Christmas 2020 brings the blessing of strengthened faith in Christ, regardless of whatever else we bring each other.
Hang in there people! God is with us! I’m praying for us all.