Thursday, April 16, 2020

Parents, Don't Get Caught in the Negative Spiral: Words from COVID 19 quarantine

Parents, don't get caught in the negative spiral. When I was in South Africa several years ago, I learned that the country was beautiful, diverse and rich with natural resources. The people we met and the wildlife we saw were amazing. The country, however, was going through a difficult time and there were no easy solutions. Humans had to be valued and the country had to be stabilized. Something else I noticed in the southern hemisphere, was that the toilet water spins the opposite direction. This fascinated me for some reason. One of the things I realized was that regardless of the spin, the water all ended up in the sewer. The spin of the water becomes a vortex that sucks everything down the drain.
Most of us are prone toward one spin or another on certain topics, but regardless of the way we spin, we can end up getting sucked into a downward spiral toward the negative and unproductive. I love and enjoy my friends regardless of which way they are prone to spin. I can appreciate where each comes from and I can usually understand how each arrived at their current leaning. I love that we live in a country where we can express our ideas freely. What I don’t love is when we use our freedoms to devalue and dismiss and disrespect each other. Especially during this pandemic, we’re gonna haveta value each other, learn from each other, team up together, and share the positives so we can get through this thing together. This is not an us versus them senario… we’re all US! It is so easy for me to lash out at those I disagree with or don’t understand, especially when those I love and I are feeling threatened by all that is happening around us.

There were two ladies who were feeling threatened for some reason and they were devaluing each other and it was tearing up the community. Euodia, whose name meant “prosperity and success,” and Syntyche, whose name meant “happiness together” or “happy event” had worked side by side together for the best Cause ever, the Gospel, but they had somehow gotten sucked into a negative spiral. The Apostle Paul tells them and the community the way to pull out of the spin that threatened to destroy the "US" that they had become. He says, “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your graciousness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Don't worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable...if there is any moral excellence and if there is anything praiseworthy...dwell on these things. Philippians 4:4-8 (CSBBible)

So, if you are starting to get sucked into the downward spiral of us vs.them... rejoice, be gracious, don’t worry, pray, think about the good, true, and honorable things. Let’s come together and defeat this enemy that threatens US, rather than harm each other while the enemy continues to destroy us.

Hang in there people! God is with us! I’m praying for you all!