Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Parents, We've Got Peace: Words from COVID 19 quarantine

Parents, we’ve got peace. In the midst of the quarantined chaos of up to six young adults and four large dogs, in between the canine scuffles and the sibling and spousal barbs and laughter occasionally exchanged, there is still a strange peace. Though this pandemic has shaken the whole world, there is still somehow an overwhelming assurance that everything is going to be okay. As our family gathers at the table or on the Zoom meeting together, we speak of His Easter Blessings. There are some plumbing problems and a broken garage door lift that may not be repaired until the stay at home order is lifted, but there is still a strange peace of God’s presence. There are three of us who are furloughed, laid off, or let go, and some of the investments made are not worth much right now, but there is still a peaceful assurance of God’s provision.
Before Jesus was crucified He tells us in John 14:27 , “Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Don't let your heart be troubled or fearful.”(CSBBible) He knew what was coming and wanted to prepare us to be aware of a promised peace that He gives to those who follow Him. He spoke of great trouble in the world, but also assured us that He has overcome the world.
I have never experienced an Easter season like this one. I have never seen a Holy Week displayed on TV with empty churches, empty cathedrals, and an empty St. Peter’s Square… but then again it was an empty tomb… However the emptiness has been replaced with innumerable expressions of worship on social media, from our public offices, and from my own family table…
These short articles that I have shared with you for the last three weeks or so, have been given to me each morning when I wake up. His mercies are new every morning and his word to me comes with the sunrise each day. At night, I sometimes want to get a head start on the next day’s message but He tells me do not worry about tomorrow, it will have a message of its own. So, this morning as I awoke, I was a bit surprised to discover that His Easter message to me is “Peace!” I shouldn’t be surprised though; His incarnation announcement tells us, “And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, And on earth PEACE among men with whom He is pleased." Luke 2:13-14 (NASB) Why wouldn’t His resurrection also mean even more peace for us. There is definitely the joy and power we have with a risen Savior, but right now the assurance of His Peace is what seems to be needed most. It’s going to be okay, He is alive and with us. He has been given authority in heaven and on earth. If the chaos gets overwhelming, take a minute, get quiet, breathe, look for and listen for His peace. Step outside, listen for the calm cooing of a dove or smell the spring flowers or fresh rain, pet a dog or cat, or hug someone that you’re quarantined with, or some other assurance of His peace. Sing a hymn or a praise song that brings you peace (mine is Blessed Assurance).
Hang in there People! God is with us! I’m praying for you all!