Saturday, May 16, 2020

Parents, Antici...pation, What Are You Waiting For? Words From COVID 19 quarantine

Parents, antici...pation, what are you waiting for? Some are anticipating getting back to their hair stylist or barber, some to their favorite restaurant, some to the gym, some to church…It's going to feel like Christmas for some of us!  Here’s part of an article from a few years ago that may have some encouragement for us as we anticipate some things getting back to normal from this pandemic… hope you enjoy it! Christmas mornings as kids, my sister and I woke up really early. Many times we were sent back to bed for another hour or two.  Trying to stay in the bed when my heart was racing in anticipation of what could be under the Christmas tree was often a task too great for this youngster.  Sometimes I would sneak back into the living room with the lights out hoping to see the outline of any of the gifts that were left unwrapped.  In the low light I could see faint outlines of what I thought was the gift I had “always wanted.”  Then my heart would race even faster as I imagined myself riding the new Big Wheel, pogo stick, moon shoes (now those were an accident waiting to happen!) or shooting a Red Ryder BB gun (“you’ll shoot your eye out kid”). But the year I thought I would get that Spyder bike with the cool “monkey hanger” handlebars with black simulated leather tassels and the “banana seat,” the picture in my mind was too much. I was so absorbed in my imagination,  I caught myself making “varoom, varoom” noises as if the bike was a motorcycle. I looked around in embarrassment to make sure no one had heard me.  The anticipation had me standing on my toes peeking in, leaning forward, straining my eyes in the dark to see if I really saw that bike.


The apostle Paul tells the church that creation is doing the same thing, as it strains to see which of us are true believers in Jesus. He says,“For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are,” Romans 8:19. Apparently, in the Greek this verse paints a picture of all creation personified,  literally stretching its neck, leaning forward on its tippy toes in anticipation of seeing who the real followers of Jesus are.  So, as we anticipate what we will experience next as our favorite places are reopened, let’s also make sure that when the Day of the Lord comes we are revealed as one who has attached ourselves to God who welcomes us with open arms.  Jesus says we will be known by our “love for one another!” 

 

Hang in there people! God is with us! I’m praying for you all!