Thursday, May 21, 2020

Parents, It All Comes Down To How We Love. Words from COVID 19 quarantine

Parents, It all comes down to how we love. I had the privilege of working with some really great people when I worked for the Universal Cheerleaders Association for a couple of Summers in College. My first camp was in a cheer country town in Kentucky, (seems like almost every town in Kentucky is known for basketball and cheerleading), with some really good people who were talented instructors. The days started early as everyone went to breakfast, had a wake-up/warm-up routine, then instruction began and lasted until almost dark with a couple of short meal breaks during the day. In the evenings, we did individual coaching sessions with the squads before they were evaluated. Each instructor was given several squads to spend a few minutes with, helping them prepare. My first day, I was given a squad that had regularly competed for the National Championship. After the signature cheerleading “ready, okay” the entire squad did standing back tucks (which, at the time, only a few squads in the country could accomplish). My mouth dropped open and that was just the beginning. I tried to hide my amazement and intimidation as they executed what I saw as a flawless routine. Their coach, however, who was not happy with their performance, made them do it again. I moved on through a couple of other squads and then to a squad of sweet special needs girls. I was able to help them add a simple trick to their routine and then “had to” move on to check back on the super-squad. I’m ashamed to say it, but because I wanted to try and validate myself as an instructor, more than I wanted to help some really courageous special kids, I spent more time with the super-squad, that really didn’t need my help. They already had some of the best coaches in the country. They already knew how to do cheerleading, as well as anyone... and they knew it. The special needs squad coach thanked me for spending time to help them, but as I look back in regret, just a few more minutes with them would have helped them much more than any time I could spend with the superstars. As a pastor, I can sometimes be tempted to seek professional validation by spending my time with the scriptural, and doctrinal super-stars, when it is usually those who are still trying to figure out this whole Faith thing that I could best spend my time with. I regret some of the times that I invested hours with people who knew the Word of God well... some of them mean as snakes, and only a few minutes with some who pronounce the book of Malachi in a way that almost rhymes with Mariachi, who were some of the most genuine and caring people I’ve ever met.

Jesus was criticized for spending time with those who weren’t polished Bible scholars and didn’t know all the religious “rules”. But He said, It's not those who are well that need a doctor. He was always about loving “the least of these.” Jesus tried to remind the Bible superstars of His time that Faith is more about relationships than it is about knowledge… “You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.” John 5:39-40 (NIV) You see they valued knowledge of the scriptures over lovingly connecting their lives with Jesus and loving the ones He loves. If they connected with Jesus in love they would love those around them, regardless of their imperfections. They preferred to try to validate their position as a knowledgeable teacher, rather than love people like Jesus did. Loving people like Jesus, “the Living Word” is real life, knowing the scriptures well, but not loving, takes away life and its joy. Correct doctrine and scripture knowledge is really important, ask any former cult member who has been deceived by false doctrine, but it is most important that we love like the One the scriptures point to, He is Truth.

Hang in there people! God is with us! I’m praying for you all!