Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Parents, It's Like Going for a Ride in The Smelly Lincoln!* Words from COVID 19 quarantine

Parents, It’s like going for a ride in the Smelly Lincoln! With four teenage drivers, we were always looking for cheap reliable cars… sometimes they were just cheap. One car that came into the rotation was a 2002 Lincoln LS. It was a “30 footer” according to my father-in-law, which means it only looks good from more than 30 feet away. Because of a design flaw in the sunroof, the system that was to take the water from around the sunroof and drain it under the vehicle actually took all that water and channeled it inside the car. The water had settled into the carpet and it stunk like mold and mildew regardless of the number of times we cleaned it. Also, when the car got wet enough, it thought it was submerged and the sunroof and all the windows opened automatically. So, in the middle of the downpour everything was drenched. The water affected all the systems of this luxury car made by Lincoln and Jaguar. It shorted out the electrical system, ruined the computers, and made it completely unpredictable. It would randomly start sounding the car alarm honking when no one was around. Often when one of the girls was driving it, the steering wheel, seat and foot pedals began to move and adjust to different settings randomly… This happened often when the shortest, 3rd child, had the car, so at times she could barely reach the brake and accelerator and others she was folded up with the steering wheel in her lap, and feet jammed up against the seat… she was always up for an adventure and she would make it home from school laughing. I figured out how to remove the fuse to this system so it didn’t happen again. Next, “ the Princess” got the Smelly Lincoln at college when her other car, which had been very reliable, gave out. Because of the compromised electrical system, the car frequently thought it was being stolen, continually honked the horn, and shut itself down.  When this happened and you got in and tried to start it the alarms would sound again and lock the ignition. You could remedy this by removing the battery cable which reset the system and you could then drive the car. The challenge was that the battery was in the trunk under another panel. So, regardless of the weather, you had to get out of the car and into the trunk, remove the battery cable with a wrench, trying not to shock yourself, and wait 10 seconds, then replace the cable, then go back to start the car, and hope it didn’t think it was being stolen again. Cinderella somehow figured out how to make it work. Finally, the youngest had to drive the Smelly Lincoln. She knew of the car's quirks and reluctantly drove it, because she had no other choice on getting to school except the bus. When she drove it to school, she thought she would park it far from any other kids in the back of the parking lot so no one would hear it honking at random. She also thought no one would see her if she had to get into the trunk to trick the car into starting. What she didn’t know was that all the football players gathered after school in the back of the parking lot right where she parked. She climbed in the car praying Smelly Lincoln would not be paranoid that day so she could fly under the radar and no one would know… but NO… this was one of the times the Smelly Lincoln thought someone was out to steal him, so the horn began to honk, and of course it doesn’t stop until the battery is disconnected. So, she began to cry as she quickly opened the trunk to remove the battery cable. When one of the boys came to see if she was okay, she said, “yes,” though the tears betrayed her. She finally got the car started and she drove away humiliated. 

Sometimes, I can be unpredictable like the Smelly Lincoln, all my systems are shorted out. Sometimes fear gets the best of me and I have very little trust of other people, thinking they are going to take advantage of me in some way. I start ranting about this and that. That is not my best self. When I operate in fear, I can also cause the people around me to walk on eggshells hoping not to upset my apple cart. The alternative is to operate in joy. Joy is consistent. Joy makes me always glad to be around other people. If I try to get my sense of security and happiness from the people or stuff of this world, I am going to be as unpredictable as the Smelly Lincoln. People won’t know what will set me off today or whether I will begin sounding an alarm when one is not needed. However, if I get my joy and security from Jesus, He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He is always glad to be with me. Even when I am not sure about what is happening next with this pandemic and its consequences, I can count on God to love me, provide for me and my family, and be always glad to be with me. Then I will have enough joy to do the same for the people around me.

King David had figured out that God was the source of joy and security and peace and He wrote a song to praise God and encourage the people who belong to Him. He sings,“Many are asking, "Who can show us anything good?" Let the light of your face shine on us, LORD. You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and new wine abound. I will both lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, LORD, make me live in safety.” Psalm 4:6-8 (CSBBible)

So, in these unpredictable times, let's get our consistency from the One who is always glad to be with us and let’s be predictably joyful, consistently caring and reliably loving to those around us… and maybe they too will seek the Source of our joy, care, and love. Let's not be a Smelly Lincoln!

Hang in there people! God is glad to be with us! I’m praying for us all!